Thursday, October 28, 2010

Finding Myself

I'm a thirty-something woman who used to have a career and is now a stay-at-home mommy to the most fabulous twins EVER! I'm sure I'm not the only one out there trying to be superwoman, so I decided to start this blog to share my quest to fit it all in.  

While I think the decision to stay home was the right one, it has not come without its challenges. I started my career as an Athletic Trainer, and after graduate school, I made the jump from sports medicine to fitness. The best part about it all was the people I was fortunate enough to help. I learned as much from my athletes and clients as they did from me, probably more so.

I loved being immersed in a healthy lifestyle. My husband and I always made it a priority to get our workouts in and eat healthy meals. It was a breeze while I managed a gym! Then I got pregnant, and wouldn't you know it, we were going to have twins! So, my visions of being one of those "fit pregnant women" were blown to bits. While I had a very good twin pregnancy, the fact that I was having multiples made it a high risk. No more running, no more weight lifting, I was limited to pre-natal yoga and walking. The walking even went away when I was 6 months along because I was getting so huge that my hips were rebelling.  Let me give you a little mental picture here, I'm 5'3" and I have no waist so I looked like an oompa loompa who had swallowed a stability ball. At 32 weeks I was put on bed rest. My kiddos got tired of waiting and were born on July 22, 2009, 6 weeks early; AKA the happiest/scariest day of my life. They spent 14 days in the NICU and then came home with a clean bill of health. Our new reality had begun.

The first few months flew by in a haze of sleep deprivation and dirty diapers. I barely had time to shower, let alone worry about how I felt. But now that the kids are in a good routine and I have a little more time to my self (a precious little), I feel a little lost. So I'm going to find a new me...

No comments:

Post a Comment