Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Pasta Fagioli Soup

I love Italian food and I love soup so an Italian soup just drives me crazy! I got the original recipe from my Aunt but I've made a few changes to make it more figure-friendly. It is still so yummy! It has finally gotten cold enough for me to make it.

Here is the recipe:

1 lb lean ground beef, browned

2 14 oz cans Great northern beans
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (I use Rotel)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried basil
3 to 5 dashes of liquid hot pepper sauce (depends on how hot you like it!)
3 cups of low-sodium beef broth

2 cups water
1 cup dry small pasta (optional)

Combine all ingredients except for the pasta in a slow cooker. cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Cook pasta separately and add to soup just before eating.

If you don't have a slow cooker, you can simmer it on low on the stove top for 2 hours and it comes out great. Also, omitting the pasta is a great way to cut calories out without sacrificing taste.

Here's the finished product without the pasta:

Mmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment