Wednesday, January 26, 2011

An ode to yoga...

I love yoga.

I love the way it makes me feel, I love the way it makes me look, I love the way it clears my head... I could go on and on.

If you have never taken a yoga class, you should give it a try. It is appropriate for all fitness levels because the poses can be modified. There are different types of yoga, and each has a different emphasis.

Hatha yoga is very popular for beginners or for those that want a relaxing yoga session. This type of yoga moves slowly through different poses and focuses on breathing and stretching the muscles.

Bikram yoga is also known as hot yoga. I have never tried this type before, but from what I understand it is practiced in a hot room to encourage sweating and loosening the muscles. I think it is appropriate to check with a physician if you have any health problems before trying bikram yoga.

Ashtanga yoga, or power yoga is my personal favorite. This practice is designed to improve strength and endurance. It is a more aggressive approach to yoga that has you moving quickly from one pose to the next. I love the feeling of a challenging workout, and ashtanga yoga gives that to me.

You can find yoga workouts at local fitness centers, yoga studios, or go pick up a dvd. There are some great ones out there.

Give it a try and let me know what you think, but please remember to be safe while working out and check with a physician if you have any reservations about your health.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment