Monday, January 31, 2011

Cake!

I have a confession to make. I have not been watching my diet and have indulged in a few too many treats lately. Enough to where it is showing on the scale.

Take last weekend for instance: my husband and I hosted our friends for a game night. My brilliant idea was to have an appetizer party where everyone brought their favorite bite-sized treat. We had spinach dip, baked brie, spanakopita, guacamole, pizza bread...yummy. Oh, and did I mention the red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting? (sigh) It was divine. Of course there was wine, beer and a bit of whisky being poured as well. Not exactly a low calorie night. But, the bad part is not the night itself, it's the left overs! I found myself the next day, fork in hand, eating cake right off the serving platter! I didn't even take the time to cut a piece and put it on the plate!

So, what did I do to remedy this problem? Well, desperate times call for desperate measures, I dumped the cake, brie, dip, and any other offending food item in the trash and took it outside. I then went to the grocery store and stocked up on all of our favorite healthy things, you know, like vegetables... and chicken.

We still have goodies in the house so we don't feel deprived ( I am in love with the slow churned ice cream), but we are just going to watch our portion sizes and stop baking cakes! I have to say that I feel much better eating food that is good for me.

So, the moral of the story is that you can have fun and eat yummy treats, you just have to get back to the healthy stuff to make up for it. And really, the healthy stuff tastes pretty good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment