Monday, January 10, 2011

Ouch!

I am the worst patient! I never listen to my own advice. Here's what happened:
Last Tuesday I noticed a little soreness in my upper back, under my right shoulder blade. I thought nothing of it and pressed on. Wednesday it was a little worse, but my husband went out of town for work so I had to pick up the kids because I was the only one home. Mind you, my son is now about 27 pounds. By the time Thursday rolled around I realized I had a problem, but again, being the only parent at home I had to do all the kid-lifting. Enter Friday morning...I could not raise my right arm or turn my head, and still, I was the only kid-picker-upper in the house. My husband returned home at about midnight on Friday and found me whimpering on the couch , unable to turn my head to give him a kiss hello.

At this point, a smart person would've let my hubby do all of the heavy lifting until the pain got better, but I just can't resist when my kiddos reach their little arms up and say "meese." (That is kid-speak for please) I also decided it would be a good idea to move some furniture around in the house this weekend. So, needless to say, I am still having pain today.

So, what should I have done? I had no choice but to take care of the kiddos while my hubby was gone, but I could've done more of it while sitting down. I also should've used ice packs on the painful area for 20 minutes a a time, 4 times per day. After the third day of pain I could've also added in a heating pad for 15 minutes at a time 3 to 4 times per day. Mix this in with some slow stretching and maybe a massage, and I would probably be pain free today. Oh, and I probably could've left the furniture moving for next weekend.

So, this is a classic case of "do as I say, not as I do." And, if it is not showing improvement by tomorrow, I'm going to see a doctor. It is always better to err on the side of caution.

Stay healthy!
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment